Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Desert Oasis

Going back to Palm Springs for a second time and the changing of the seasons certainly opened up new opportunities for us. Blobs of bright colors started exploding across the otherwise monochromatic landscape. Spring time in the desert brings a surprising amount of wildflowers! The day of rain that greeted us at the beginning of our stay surly helped turbo-charge this spread of color.


Another trip into Joshua Tree National Park allowed us to explore areas we missed the first time, although you will see the theme of wildflowers continues all throughout our time in the desert. I was very excited to be returning to the park, because sometime ago I had filed away in my "rolodex" that Joshua Trees usually bloom in March. I was crossing all my fingers and toes that we would be lucky enough to see these blooms in person. Well, I'm very happy to report that we saw many!



They are so beautiful, and about the size of four of my fists put together. I love how they remain consistent with the overall Dr. Seuss-like character of the Joshua Trees. Strange--and unlike any bloom I have ever seen before. Nature is extraordinary!

With all the new life forming and blossoming around us, it was easy to forget that the desert can be an unforgiving place. While on a short walk, I came across this fallen Joshua Tree. Who knows how long this unique organism fought to live and tower above the small bushes around it, only now to show us its crumbling bones. There is a glimmer of hope even here, however. If you look closely at its trunk, you can see a small green bud, refusing to give up.


It is sad to see death, but we must be grateful for all the life around us, young and old. For everywhere we turn, there IS life and beauty. Some life struggles on a daily basis to survive, while other life enjoys abundance. Regardless, all life is precious, vigorous, tenacious, and marvelous.

This is the most profound lesson the desert has taught me.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment