Friday, February 27, 2015

Birds of a Feather

I'm sure our recent grand adventure at the San Diego zoo was a large inspiration to my latest photographic fascination: the wonderfully varied textures and colors of animal life.


After staying in the San Diego area for about three weeks, we decided to head back north. Wilderness Lakes RV Resort was our destination, for the second time this trip, and was gladly anticipated for all the wildlife it has to offer. It's pretty amazing how even a small amount of water in such a dry area attracts droves of animals. During our stay, our camp site was favored by a Canada goose couple as well as a small band of mallard ducks. The geese were a bit apprehensive at first, but with the promise of food, warmed up to us quickly. They actually came right up to us and ate out of our hands, pleasantly honking in gratitude the whole time.

I took this up-close opportunity to continue my photographic study of animal colors and textures. 




I never realized how beautiful female birds can be. Usually males are the attention-drawers, with their bright colors, patterns, and displays. But when looking at this female mallard, not as a duck, but as a collection of patterns, colors, and textures, I was blown away by her. I love how photography can change our perceptions of this world, by re-training us how to see. Instead of looking at a duck as a duck, if we see her as a work of art, our (or my, at least) appreciation of her beauty grows immensely. She's not just a duck, she's a complex sculpture created by Mother Nature.

When speaking of birds, feathers are most often the subject of appreciation, but I was equally intrigued by these birds' feet. They strongly opposed the soft and elegant texture of their feathers, with a tough, coarse, and duty-filled existence. 



After eating their fill from our palms, the goose couple settled into the grass for an afternoon nap. Of course, after such a large meal, it's always a good idea to get stretch out. You know, to aid in digestion and whatnot. Behold, goose yoga:


Next to the RV park is a large, open field where rabbits and birds and many other creatures live. Spring has definitely sprung here in southern California, and it was so nice to enjoy the blooming flowers in the sunshine.


The main reason for venturing into this field was the chance to photograph a great egret. I have seen many blue herons and sandhill cranes in Montana, but an all white heron-like bird was new to me, and I HAD to photograph it. He was not as friendly as our other bird friends, and would certainly not eat out of our hands, let alone let me get within a 100 yards of him. With my big telephoto lens, I was able to reach a little closer, but still not as close as I would like.



If you look closely in the second photograph of the egret, you can see his motivation for being in this field. Lizards! I was able to see him pluck a small lizard out of that pile of logs he was standing on. Yum!

Perhaps when we return to Wilderness Lakes, I will bring some lizards with me and make friends with this guy. Then I could get in for a closer shot!

No comments:

Post a Comment